Pt. Deendayal Upadhyaya Institute for the Physically Handicapped is an autonomous organisation under the administrative and financial control of Ministry of Social Justice & Empowerment, Govt. of India. This institute came into being when the erstwhile Jawahar Lal Nehru Institute of Physical Medicine and Rehabilitation and other allied institution run by the council for the Aid of crippled & handicapped were taken over by the Govt. of India on 22nd May 1975 and converted into an autonomous body in the year 1976.
The Institute aims to serve the physically disabled of all age groups. In this pursuit of alleviating the suffering of disabled people, the Institute runs following programme :-
- Bachelor of Physical Therapy, Bachelor of Occupational Therapy and Bachelor of Prosthetics & Orthotics, 4 ˝ years duration course in affiliation with University of Delhi.
- Out patient clinical services in Physical Therapy, Occupational Therapy and Speech Therapy.
- Workshop for the fabrication of Orthotic and Prosthetic appliances including calipers, splints, artificial limbs, surgical boots and customized wooden furniture for the persons with different types of locomotor impairments.
- Conduct out-reach camps for the economically weaker disabled persons, living in the far-flung and remote areas, with the help of concerned district administration and locally active non-governmental organizations.
- Extend institutional comprehensive rehabilitation services to persons with disabilities by establishing & operationalizing of Southern Regional Rehabilitation Centre (SRC), Secunderabad (AP), District Disability Rehabilitation Centres (DDRCs) and facilitating the establishment of Regional Spinal Injury Centre.
- Integrated School for orthopaedically disabled children up-to Vth standard approved by Municipal Corporation of Delhi.
- Provide Social, Psychological and Vocational Counseling Services to the persons with disabilities.
- Printing Press to cater to the printing needs of the Institute and Ministry for dissemination of information and generation of awareness.